The Vertebral Subluxation Complex
By Geoffrey A. Sandels, D.C.
The brain stem and the spinal cord are the primary pathways for nerve impulses to and from the brain. Messages back and forth through these nerves control the health and function of virtually every other cell, tissue, organ, and system in the body. nerve tissue is so important, it is protected by bone. The brain is encased by the skull, and the spinal cord is covered by 24 moving bones of the spinal column.
Many every day things can cause these bones to lose their normal motion or position. This sets off a chain reaction affecting the spinal bones, nerves, muscles, soft tissues, and results in degenerative changes throughout the body. Doctors refer to this as the Vertebral Subluxation Complex.
The Vertebral Subluxation Complex is the underlying cause of many health problems and is recognized by its 5 components.
1. Abnormal position or motion of the spinal vertebrae. Vertebrae can become misaligned and/or fixated causing problems that can distort normal spinal curves and compromise proper joint mechanics. this leads to...
2. Abnormal functioning of the nervous system. Because of the way your spine is designed, abnormal spinal function can rub, pinch, irritate, or choke the delicate tissues of the spinal cord and nerve roots.
3. Abnormal muscle function. When muscle function is impaired from too much or too little nerve supply, muscles that support the spine respond by becoming too tight, spasm, weaken, or atrophy. In any case, scar tissue can form changing their elasticity.
4. Abnormal soft tissue function. With spinal joint malfunction, the discs, ligaments, and other connective tissues are affected, too.
5. Abnormal function of the spine and body . When there is a malfunction or trauma to a joint, one of the ways the body responds is to stabilize the area by growing new bone. Over time, calcium deposits can build up, forming bony spurs. This arthritic splinting of adjacent bones is natural attempt to stabilize a malfunctioning joint. This can lead to chronic pain and speed the aging process.
More and more researchers have confirmed the far reaching effects of abnormal spinal function. Still, the Vertebral Subluxation Complex may be one of the most common, yet overlooked sources of health problems. The detection, reduction, and prevention of the Vertebral Subluxation Complex is the unique domain of the Doctor of Chiropractic. If you suspect that you, or someone you know, may be suffering from the Vertebral Subluxation Complex, contact your Doctor of Chiropractic for a thorough examination.
Geoffrey A. Sandels, D.C. is a practicing Doctor of Chiropractic at the Heritage Chiropractic Clinic, 2407 Lenora Church Road in Snellville, Georgia.
Heritage Chiropractic Clinic Dr. Geoffrey A. Sandels
Specializing in Spinal and Nerve Rehabilitation in Snellville, Georgia since 1983
2407 Lenora Church Road Snellville, Georgia 30078 770-979-2731